Re: Oracle Thin driver questions

From: Volker Denzer <denzer_at_hmi.de>
Date: 1997/12/10

Bruce Hopkins wrote:

> Hi, I have a question about using Personal Oracle Lite and the JDBC thin
> driver.
>
> How do you do it? I don't see how you can set up the driver so that it
> can see the database?
> I really am having trouble with the URL
> "oracle:jdbc:and_the_wierd_Stuff". I have worked successfully
> with a ODBC driver URL "jdbc:odbc:polite", but this one is encriptic.
>
> From what I've seen, I may have to bind the database to a port. Do I
> have to use SQL NET?
> How can Personal Oracle Lite bind to a port?
>
> I am thoroughly confused.

I have recently installed the oracle thin driver. I must have a tnslistener to cennect to since it connects via a java socket, i.e. directly via tcp/ip.
Personal Oracle Lite doesn't have a listener, so your stranded. You probably don't need to try the OCI driver, since this one works via SQL*Net, going to the tnslistener.... But you could try to install the JDBC-ODBC Bridge. If you can connect to Personal Oracle Lite vi ODBC this one will surely work.

Oh, BTW: the jdbc driver URL is well descriptet in the manual...

    don't ask me which one :-), but i think it was the one from     www.oracle.com .

Greetins,
  V. Denzer Received on Wed Dec 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CST