Re: Timing Tests for SQL stmts

From: Lothar Armbruester <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 1997/12/09

Nancy.Thalman schrieb am 09-Dez-97 18:33:14 zum Thema "Timing Tests for SQL stmts":
>Hi,

>I'm using a demo version of Oracle 8.0.3 on a Solaris and
>I want to perform timing tests in SQL Plus on some
>select stmts.

>Are there timing cmds that I can use in SQL Plus to
>determine elapsed time for the execution of a select
>stmt and is there a way to turn off screen I/O in SQL
>Plus while the select stmt is executing?

>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The most simple way to get timings is

set timing on

To get even more timings you should read the manual about

set autotrace on

This requires some preparation (at least is does on Oracle 7.3) When running sql scripts You can

set termout off

to disable screen I/O.
Attention all these things work on Oracle 7.3! So it is possible (but not likely) that some of the commands behave differently under Oracle 8 or have an altered syntax.

>Thanks,

>Nancy Thalman

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--
Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Schulstr. 12            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de