Re: PC server vs. Sun server

From: Kaboel Karso <kaboel_at_wau.mis.ah.nl>
Date: 1997/12/09

Hi,

In general you can't say this platform is better than that one. It all depends on the business needs you have. I've used Oracle on SUN6000's and smaller (all Solaris), on Intel platform (Netware, NT and Solaris).

I still advise small shops to use NT if unix expertise is not available. Where scalability is NOT an issue, other reasons might.

Right now I'm sort of looking after 650 (remote) sites with Oracle on Intel Solaris ranging from Pentium 60 to 133Mhz, running almost unattended.

I'm investigating the use of the Oracle Intelligent Agent with Oracle Enterprise Manager and SUN's master agent. The idea is to have the database alerts trapped by the master agent, which takes care of sending it via snmp over the wan to the Solstice Enterprise Manager.

remarks:
1. If the db crawls on a dual proc Proliant, you might reconsider your design
2. The OracleI installed on Netware was very fast Unix couldn't beat it on similar hardware.
3. A Proliant is hardly a Personal Computer anymore

Cheers