Re: NT vs. Unix????

From: Shannon Hendrix <shendrix_at_gypsy.atlantic.infi.net>
Date: 1997/12/08

In article <01bd00f7$fc909da0$22601b26_at_sfinance3>, S V <sv1_at_mindspring.com> wrote:

>JohnC <x_at_x.com> wrote in article <666umb$2on_at_mtinsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>> Jim Kennedy wrote:
>> >

>> > We have an application and have benchmarked it against
>> > Pentium Pro quad processor with 2 gigs of RAM and 12 disk
>> > drives and found that 250 users is about the limit. That is
>> > going to depend on how your application uses the database
>> > and how efficient it is.(host variables, array interface,
>> > reuse sql etc.) Did find that UNIX platforms get you more
>> > potential head room. On Sun we were able to get more total
>> > users and also on HPUX. In addition, you can realistically
>> > scale better on UNIX than on NT.
>> >
>> > Jim Kennedy X7055
>>
>> Wow, NT is that bad. I can easily do 250 clients on a two processor
>> E3000 with 512 MB RAM..
>
>Q. What are those 250 clients doing?
>A. Waiting for the command prompt..

Q: You work on his sytem?
A: No.
Q: Ah, then you don't know, do you?

An old Tatung (Sparc 5) where I work did 50 clients under Sybase and this was a 64mb, 60-80MHz CPU, 4gig tablespace machine. There were 40 windows machines doing constant, moderate access and the rest were us programming or running various batch jobs. The load was very high, but the system ran fine.

An NT machine with the same level of CPU power will have trouble running basic applications. Disk I/O seems to be terrible under NT for some reason. I like being able to have headless servers too.

--
shendrix_at_infi.net
"The determined programmer can write a FORTRAN program in any