Re: creating tablespaces in parallel

From: David Shi <dshi_at_magpage.com>
Date: 1997/12/06

Relevant to this post, I have a similar question:

Suppose I have a table of 100GB (Is it ok to have such a large table?) which has 200 columns (maybe 600 million records), I need to create few new columns from some existing columns (eg: c = a + b), which one is more efficient:

  1. use "create table as" with "parallel" and "unrecoverable".
  2. use "update set c=a+b".

Is it possible to have Oracle not creating redo and rollback in b)? Seems to me that significantly slow down the processing.

Also, does anyone have any idea of how long a,b might take?

Thanks in advance.

David