Re: PC server vs. Sun server

From: David Russell <user_at_msn.com>
Date: 1997/12/05

From a number of benchmarks I have been involved in, if the Hardware is of the same specification, then Oracle on NT is usually slightly faster up to about 3 CPU's after that UNIX is the answer. By Hardware of the same specification I mean; e.g both machines have the same number and type of disks.

Oracle 8 uses more memory than Oracle 7 so be sure to size memory correctly and most large systems I have encountered have I/O bottlenecks rather than CPU. So be sure to calculate your I/O through put requirements and compare them with what the Hardware can achieve.

Regards
David Russell Received on Fri Dec 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CST