Re: internal and sys passwords

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/12/04

John Wang wrote:

> I have created Oracle instances a few times on DEC Unix. I still cannot
> figure out how internal and sys password come from. it seems to me that
> internal does not require any password. Is that true? On Unix, all I have
> to do is to set ORACLE_SID then connect as internal. And I have examined
> the crdb*.sql and crdb2*.sql. nowhere is this sys password is mentioned.
> does anybody know how internal and sys get created? When I used the
> Installer to create the instance, it asked me for these passwords.

 I have posted the answer to this question(or similar) a number of times before, however briefly, the SYS user is created at database creation time and owns a number of internal system tables and the data dictionary. The default password is change_on _install and it can be changed, as with any other user, with the command;

alter user sys identified by <new_password>;

Internal on the other hand is not a real user and therefore has no password as such. It is used to control OS level access to the svrmgrl or sqldba utilities. On UNIX this means that any user in the dba group can connect internal without a password (I believe it is anyone with administrator privilege on NT but am not 100% certain). It is possible to password protect the internal connection. To do this you have to set the remote_login_passwordfile init.ora parameter and use the orapwd utility to set the password. Oracle then internally synchronises the sys and internal passwords so the internal password changes whenever sys's does. Because of this I would recommend that when you use orapwd you choose the cureent sys password.

Hope this helps,

Ian Received on Thu Dec 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST