Re: Question regarding Oracle8 functionality

From: Adrian Nakon <a8nakon_at_uk.ibm.com>
Date: 1997/12/03

Hi Chris,

You shouldn't have too many problems using ORACLE8 over ORACLE7 as far as standard SQL and RDBMS operations are concerned. ORACLE are quite aware that there are alot of customers who will need to 'migrate' onto ORACLE8, and they could not afford to make ORACLE 8 too much different than ORACLE 7.

This probably doesn't concern you, but the OCI (ORACLE Calls Interface) has changed drastically for ORACLE 8, so if your current application is using them, then there could be some work there for you.

Otherwise, I think you should be quite safe - ORACLE is still quite a 'relational' DBMS.

Cheers,

Adrian.