Re: Database BackUp

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378nospam_at_deere.com>
Date: 1997/12/03

Yes, but with a few additions.

Oracle logs all transactions into the redo logs. When one log is filled, Oracle switches to the next log file. When the last file is filled, Oracle switches back to the first.

This is where the ARCHIVELOG mode comes in. If you set this mode, Oracle guarantees not to overwrite the redo log files until they have been copied to an archival directory. It is this directory that you would backup nightly.