Re: NT vs. Unix????

From: George Dau <gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au>
Date: 1997/12/02

hboswell_at_lance.netdoor.com (Harry Boswell) wrote:

]Apologies if this has been asked to death, but I've been out of
]the Oracle orbit for the past couple of years. I've used Oracle
]versions 4, 5, 6, and 7, all on Unix machines. I'm now looking at
]a new Oracle implementation, supporting up to possibly 250 or so
]users, that may be on Unix or NT. Are there any red flags about NT?
]Is the DBA's job significantly different on NT? Any advice or
]general comments are most welcome.
]

The main difference I felt was the loss of unix scripts and the unix tools. I did install the Cygnus tools for NT, this helped but its just not all there. The Cygnus tools are also slow. http://www.cygnus.com

Oracle also runs much slower on our NT box than on the Suns. We will have to upgrade the NT box soon to get better performance. Make sure you have room to upgrade in your NT hardware.

At the moment I can't remotely DBA the NT instance. I think all I need to do is install server manager and the rest on my NT PC here. How does that work from a remote unix box (at home)? With the Unix instances I can telnet to the boxes and easily DBA them from home. I haven't worked out how I'm going to do this with the NT instance yet. (I have only very recently been involved with the NT instance).

--
 ,-,_|\   George Dau,                                             __
/    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), NT, Oracle, Internet. (OO)

Food for spambots:
catalog-typos_at_amazon.com feedback_at_amazon.com suggestions_at_amazon.com
marketing_at_amazon.com associates_at_amazon.com press_at_amazon.com
cheri.devine_at_tokyo.jp Visa&MasterCard_at_AOL.COM remove_at_SendAd.com
webmaster_at_SendAd.com suggest_at_SendAd.com onwave_at_mlmail.com
chrysties_at_mymail.com postmaster_at_anka.von.mute.de
dan_at_netinstrument.com justdoit_at_ultra-mail.com osg_at_online-success.com
mrk_at_sympatico.ca chandar_at_powerup.com.au 18384_fred_at_ultra.net
TALN_at_andromeda.jaycounty.com MANAGER1_at_MLMPRO.NET
market_at_smithparnell.com gameZONE_at_letterbox.com cheq2_at_hotmail.com
sales_at_morbrandnames.com quu93_at_flashnet.it