ORA-7320 at connect

From: Peter Nieberg <pn_at_siemens.nl>
Date: 1997/12/01

Hello,
Last week we upgraded a PeopleSoft-database on a UNIX-platform from 7.1.6 to 7.3.2. We did this previously on a test-UNIX-server. It all went well. Our ORACLE_OWNER is user "oracle73". When I call SVRMGRL and make a connect to a particular user in the DB there's nothing wrong. We als have a second user "psprod" which is also a member of the DBA-group (/etc/group), which is being used for running interfaces between PeopleSoft and other systems. On the test-server I can use this user with SVRMGRL. On the productionserver I get the following :

$ svrmgrl

Oracle Server Manager Release 2.3.2.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1994, 1995. All rights reserved.

Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.3.0 - Production Release
With the distributed option
PL/SQL Release 2.3.2.3.0 - Production

SVRMGR> connect XXXXXXXX/XXXXXXXX
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga.
SVR4 Error: 13: Permission denied
SVRMGR>

The XXX is not what I give in, but for security-reasons I placed XXX there.
The database is running, so that's not the problem. My feeling tells me that this user is searching the DB under the old version. From a client it all works, under user "oracle73" it also works, but under user
"psprod" I get the error. Psprod's variables are :

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle73/app/oracle/product/7.3.2 ; export
ORACLE_HOME
ORACLE_TERM=97801                    ; export
ORACLE_TERM
ORACLE_SID=PSPROD                    ; export
ORACLE_SID
SQRDIR=/prod/psprod/sqr_3.0/ora/workbench/bin ; export
SQRDIR
PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin           ; export
PATH
SQRDIR=/prod/psprod/sqr_3.0/ora/workbench/bin ; export
SQRDIR
SQRTOOLS=$SQRDIR                              ; export
SQRTOOLS
ESQRDIR=$SQRDIR                               ; export
ESQRDIR
ESQREDITOR=vi                                 ; export
ESQREDITOR
ESQRTEMP=/tmp                                 ; export
ESQRTEMP
ESQRSTARTUP=/prod/psprod/sqr_3.0/ora/workbench/bin ; export
ESQRSTARTUP
ESQRUSESQR=NO                                 ; export
ESQRUSESQR
VVTERM=$ORACLE_TERM                           ; export
VVTERM
VVTERMCAP=$SQRDIR                             ; export
VVTERMCAP

SQRFLAGS="-i/prod/psprod/PSPROD/PS_SQR/workbench/include/ -m/prod/psprod/PSPROD/
PS_SQR/workbench/include/allmaxes.max
"
export
SQRFLAGS I made changes in /var/opt/oracle/oratab (old $ORACLE_HOME --> new $ORACLE_HOME). On the same (production- and test-) server we have DB's running under different versions : 7.1.6 and 7.3.2. They all use shared memory. The ORACLE_OWNER of version 7.1.6 is "oracle". The three users
"oracle", "oracle73" and "psprod" have the same group : dba (groupnumber
227). We have the same situation on the above mentioned test-server, where everything is running smoothly. I have spent this whole day checking everything : files, rights on partitions, users, variables and so on.
I just don't have a clue anymore. Is there anyone out there who might have a suggestion ?? PLEASE....

Thanks in advance !

Peter Nieberg - ORACLE-DBA UNIX Siemens Nederland/Siemens Nixdorff
Phone / Fax        +31 70 333 2987 / 2948
E-mail             pn_at_siemens.nl