Re: How to determine used blocks in an extent.

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/12/01

Roy Varghese wrote:

> I have a table that has been allocated a very large initial
> extent. Something like 1.7GB. It is contained in a tablespace
> of 2 GB. Only an ANALYZE TABLE would show the actual number of
> blocks which are free or used-up in the extent. However the
> ANALYZE TABLE command takes quite a long time to complete
> since there are too many rows in the table.

You can use the DBMS_SPACE package to determine how much allocated space has actually been used.

Also you can use;

alter table <table_name> deallocate unused;

to reduce the allocated size (itr even reduces INITIAL). Although this will only allow you to reduce down to the high water mark (Highest position, spacewise, that has EVER been used rather than currently)

Hope this helps,

Ian Received on Mon Dec 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST