Re: How do I use an Oracle DB as a web source?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/11/28

young seung Kim wrote in message <34757AB3.C740BA10_at_kimendo.com>...
>We have Oracle db on a Unix machine and also have a PC installed with
>NT4.0.
>They are connected with Lan.
>I'd like to publish from NT using Oracle source on the Unix system.
>I've been searching for the answer but It wat not that easy.
>Would you tell me How do I do that?

To access your Oracle database on UNIX from a NT client, you need to have the Oracle client software installed on NT (i.e. SQL*Net) and correctly configured (use SQL*Net Easy Config).

I assume that you're running Microsoft's Internet Information Server (IIS) as your web server. You have 3 options to access Oracle.

CGI:
You can write .CMD CGI file that uses SQL*Plus to connect to Oracle and retrieve data. The disadvantage is the .CMD files are pretty useles for anying but text/plain. Alternative you can get Perl for NT and use it with SQL*Plus. Oracle also supports an HTTP package of stored procedures that can be used for HTML formating. I'm not sure if you can call these and set server output on in SQL*Plus and run the whole thing as a CGI - it may be worth investigating.

IDC/HTX:
A feature from IIS that enables you to create an IDC page (works like a CGI) and a presentation (HTX) page. The IDC page contains the ODBC connection to use and SQL statement (with parameters) to run. The HTX presentation page tells IIS how to display the data. You will however need a NT ODBC driver for Oracle.

ASP:
Active Server Pages. Pretty much like Visual Basic. It allows you to write VB code in an ASP/HTML page to connect to Oracle, run SQL statements, format returned data, etc. You will also need an ODBC driver for this option.

regards,
Billy Received on Fri Nov 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CST