Re: Help. I am new to database administration

From: Brad Worsfold <bworsfold_at_vic.lgs.ca>
Date: 1997/11/27

> - What is the differences between sys/system/internal user and what is
> sysdba and sysoper.
>

> - I have to export a database from one server to another server, when I
> do the import do I have to have a database created or will the import
> create the database. And how about the table spaces, who will create
> them. I couldn't find a step by step example in the manuals so any help
> on this question would be appreciated.

- The database will not be created for you. - If you performed a full export on the one server, it will recreate the tablespaces/users for you. However,
  it will attempt to use the exact same file names that make up the tablespaces. So if you don't have the
  right paths, you may run into trouble. - Consult the Oracle7 Server Utilities guide

> - Can you have more than one database on your server, if yes how is it
> done.

- A database refers to the actual source code.  IE. Oracle 7.3.2.3
- You are refering to Instances of the Database.
- Yes you can, you just need to create another "database" using the create
database command, you also
need to get different init<sid>.ora files. - I would suggest looking at the server concepts manual.

Good luck!

Brad Received on Thu Nov 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CST