Re: Table keeps growing inspite of purging

From: Julio <julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es>
Date: 1997/11/27

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> can you send more information. I ran a test in 7.1.6, 7.2.3, 7.3.3. A=
 ll the
> results were identical. (btw: all versions of the database release spac=
 e, all of
> them. None of them use a 'flag' delete or anything like that. That wo=
 uld be
> dbase).
> =

> In each database I created a table with 5,000 ~255 character rows. I t=
 hen
> analyzed the table and reported the free space/used space/allocated spa=
 ce. I
> then repeatably deleted 500 rows, inserted 500 rows. I ran each test 2=
 times in
> the database. Once analyzing after each insert/delete set and once an=
 alyzing
> just at the beginning and the end.
> the table hit a steady state right away. There must be something else =
 going on
> with your table. Could you tell us
> =

> - what it looks like (indexes and all).
> - how you insert into it.
> - how you delete from it.
> =

> I'd like to replicate your results if possible....

I've been reviewing possible sollutions (I said it happened to me with the installation of Designer) and a probable cause is the free space fragmentation.
Well one of the sollutions for Oracle 7.3 is to use the command =

alter tablespace <tablespace_name> coalesce This reduces the fragmentation in the tablespace.

Regards
-- =

Julio Negueruela
Telf: 941-299177 Fax: 941- 299244
Servicio Inform=E1tico
Universidad de La Rioja - Spain
mailto:julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es Received on Thu Nov 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CST