Re: Temporary Tablespaces

From: Timo Haatainen <Timo.Haatainen_at_tietogroup.com>
Date: 1997/11/27

krishnanand_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few questions on TEMP tablespaces: ( Oracle 7.3.2.1 )
>
> (1) The DBA_TABLESPACES has a column called CONTENTS - in our default
>
> settings it shows PERMANENT for all the tablespaces. It has 2 optins
>
> PERMANENT & TEMPORARY. Can I change this TYPE from PERMANENT to
>
> TEMPORARY when the Database is UP & RUNNNING. Do I need to take any
>
> SPECIAL steps/precautions. Please HELP.

Syntax for altering is: ALTER TABLESPACE <ts> TEMPORARY; I don't know the restrictions there may be.

> (2) In the ALERT_SID.LOG , I keep seeing the message
>
> " ORA-01575: timeout waiting for space management resource "
>
> What should I do ?

See Kelly's note.

> (3) Can I add another TEMP tablespace - sounds STUPID but is it
> possible?
>
> In other words can I make Oracle to do sorting in some tablespace
>
> other than (TEMP - created at installation ) ?

You can use any tablespace as temporary tablespace, usually this is called TEMP. You can assign to each user their temporary tablespace by: ALTER USER <user> TEMPORARY TABLESPACE <ts>;

> Please reply by EMail also.
>
> Thanx.

Hope this helps.

--