Re: Change a column object

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1997/11/26

drichardson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am fairly new to Oracle. I created a table in Oracle by importing a table
> from Access to Oracle. When the table was created however, two columns that
> should have been NUMBER columns turned out to be CHAR(50) columns. How do I
> convert these two columns from CHAR to NUMBER?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> David Richardson
> drichardson_at_altera.com

Hi,

in order to change vom char to number I think columns must be NULL. So if they aren't create a tempory table ikn which you hold pk and the two columns, set columns to NULL, change column type and update table to insert values.

Alter table <table_name> modify ( <column_name> number );

--
Regards

Matthias Gresz    :-)