Re: Table keeps growing inspite of purging

From: Julio <julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es>
Date: 1997/11/26

First of all, I apologize because my english isn't very good.

> Sasha Ostojic wrote:
>
> I have an application that writes several hundred records to a table ev=
 ery
> few minutes. There is a cron job that runs every hour that deletes rec=
 ords
> older than two days from this table. This has been running now for abo=
 ut
> three months. The problem is that I noticed that the table is growing =
 over
> time (the number of extents is growing). I would have expected it to r=
 each
> a certain size (after two days), and then the space freed by deleted re=
 cords
> would be reused. The table has one index, and it is still growing as w=
 ell.

> The table is created with PCTFREE 5 and PCTUSED 60. The index is PCTFRE=
 E 5.

> Why is my table still growing?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> .sasha

I don't know wich Oracle version you're using. Oracle doesn't eliminate the deleted data physically but they're marked as deletes. They've choosen between optimizing data saving and data acces the last oe.So they're still in the databases but they're not accesible, that's because you're table's still growing.

I suggest to you every x-time (depending on the growing speed) to export table, drop it (it would be better to truncate it) and import it again. This way you eliminate deleted rows.

Greetings,
-- =

Julio Negueruela
Telf: 941-299177 Fax: 941- 299244
Servicio Inform=E1tico
Universidad de La Rioja - Spain
mailto:julio.negueruela_at_si.unirioja.es Received on Wed Nov 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CST