Re: Help : Calling external programs in PL/SQL

From: Gary SMITH <Gary.Smith_at_cern.ch>
Date: 1997/11/25

If you are using Oracle version 8, then apparently there is a way of loading
external programs that can then be executed from the server. I do not use
Oracle 8.

If you are using version 7.3.X then the standard way is to create a public
pipe that your PL/SQL program sends commands down. These must then be read by a Pro* program that is waiting on the pipe (via a PL/SQL anonymous block). When a command is received by the program it executes it using the necessary operating system calls and loops around to wait on the pipe again.

Regards

--
Gary Smith