Re: Paged Cursors

From: Sundial Services <news-reply_at_sundialservices.com>
Date: 1997/11/25

In article <65fa5u$abv$1_at_earth.superlink.net> "Linus Concepcion" <Linus_Concepcion_at_jh.com> writes:

>Our engine should then generate the proper SQL to either backend, and just
>return the first 15 rows of the resultset. The 15 rows comprises a single
>page. The engine could also return the total number of pages in the
>resultset given that a page is 15 rows.

>I really don't want to hold on to the server-side cursors after a page is
>returned. Ideally, I'd like for the first page to be returned to the user,
>then the cursor will be dropped. If the user then requests for page 3, the
>cursor is quickly recreated, and rows 30-45 are returned to the user. The
>cursor is then immediately dropped again.

If you can limit the number of server-side cursors you hold, I think in this case it is a reasonable thing to hold on to it for the duration of the screen to facilitate paging through.

Or perhaps you could slurp the whole set down into a local database, such as an Access MDB, so the user could browse through the result set at leisure. Received on Tue Nov 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CST