Re: Oracle 7.3.3 ---> Oracle 8 upgrade

From: Roger Snowden <rsnowden_at_supergeek.com>
Date: 1997/11/24

You are right in assuming that bigger blocks are generally better. Before you decide, you might consider the I/O subsystem of your host. If you are using RAID, which is pretty likely in a DW environment, you probably want to set the block size to match the block size of the RAID subsystem. 8k is pretty common. Bigger Oracle blocks may not help if the RAID is limited to 8k. We like to match the block sizes exactly.

When doing all this, I personally would upgrade the 7.3.3 database to the new block size before upgrading to O8. Cleaner that way.

Roger Snowden Received on Mon Nov 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST