Problems with WRB on NT 4.0

From: Badrinath <murthys_at_miamiu.muohio.edu>
Date: 1997/11/23

Environment:

Windows NT 4.0 (service pack 3)
WRB 2.1/3.0
Oracle 7.3
Multiple domain structure with Master Domain / Resource Domain set up having one way.

Does anyone know under what security context does the WRB run under NT ?

I am developing a custom cartridge in C for the Web Request Broker. I am having trouble calling a few Win32 SDK calls from it, which require the process to have Administrator access. Specifically, I am trying to add NT users to Local Groups. The message that I get indicates that the WRB does not have access. The NT calls work fine if I make these calls on the same computer where I run the WRB. However, I am unable to make any RPC calls across Domains although I have the trust relations set up correctly.

In one of the Admin screens for WRB you can specify the user name in whose context the WRB will run - but this is applicable only for Unix. There is an option available in NT where you can start a service using a specific account. I tried to start the WRB service using an Admin's account on NT, but this did not help either.

With Microsoft's Internet Information Server, when you write custom extensions to the server (both filters and extensions), the threads inherit the security context of the user who sends the request.

This is not the case with the WRB on NT. This is a serious limitation with the WRB on NT. Has any of you faced the same situation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Badri Nath
Badri513_at_hotmail.com Received on Sun Nov 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CST