Re: dbstart from rc2.d files

From: Mark Hunter <mark_at_se7en.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/11/23

> i'm trying to bringup Oracle database through an /etc/rc2.d/S98oracle
>script and it fails in lack of permission to bringup the database.
>How do i bringup the database from the S98oracle script ?

Assuming your oracle account to be called oracle and that you have a script called startdb that works when executed as the user oracle, then to start your dabase from rc2.d/S98oracle you would need a line akin to

            su - oracle -c dbstart

'su - oracle', as opposed to just 'su oracle' will make sure that root inheirits any custom variables and setting that oracle itself enjoys when logging on e.g. a default ORACLE_SID; an 'su oracle' (without the minus sign), as I understand it, mererly switches the user and group ID's.

The '-c' parameter tells root to su for only one command. the command in question being our sbstart script.

Good Luck,
Mark H Received on Sun Nov 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CST