Re: NT Named Pipes

From: Robert Edgar <robedgar_at_hkstar.com>
Date: 1997/11/22

 Why not go back to TCP but control security through roles....

  1. Even if you can "see" (ping?) another instance they could only connect if they were included as a user in that instance's password file.
  2. Even if included as a user in that instance you can prevent them doing anything by only activating a default role that has very limited permissions then in your applications use "SET ROLE" to switch on the "real" role with the required permissions...
  3. Can even look at using OS_ROLES/REMOTE_OS_ROLES and control access through a local user group...

Although we only operate a (multi site) single domain ourselves I think that there is enough to enforce domain security, though Oracle really could do with improving the security integration with NT, firstly by documenting it clearly and then making it work as it really should (probably needs a change in philosphy at a corperate level <g>)

Rob

eek wrote in article <879972951.7557.0.nnrp-07.9e9892a8_at_news.demon.co.uk>...