Creating A Crosstab Query

From: <Abeeda_Mohammed_at_xn.xerox.com>
Date: 1997/11/21

RDBMS Version: 7.3.2.3.1
Operating System: NT 4.0
Product: PL/SQL 2.3.2.3
Product Version: 2.3.2.3

The following is the structure of a table : inventory_item_id
Organization_id
cost_type_id
summary_resource_id
description
item_cost

I want to write a query so that I can get the sum of item_cost for each description, i.e the description should appear as a column. I am not sure what the description is going to be so I cannot write a SQL stmt. with sum(decode.. function to perform this crosstab query.

Is there a way out?

thanks in advance,

Abeeda