Re: backups for Oracle. what mode was db created in?

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378nospam_at_deere.com>
Date: 1997/11/21

Jeff Kish wrote:

> Regarding backups,
>
> 1. If a database was created with archivelog mode off, can we turn it
> on at a certain point in time to enable better recovery?

Yes, you can turn archivelog on later. This must be done this way: shutdown
startup mount
alter database archivelog;
alter database open
shutdown
cold backup
startup

> 2. What is the best way to create a few extra control files for
> backup/recovery sake? We are using only one for one instance, and two
> for another instance. The two are in the same directory on the same
> disk. I assume ones on different disks are best.

From the manual:

To Multiplex or Move Additional Copies of the Current Control File

  1. Shutdown the database.
  2. Exit Server Manager.
  3. Copy an existing control file to a different location, using operating system commands.
  4. Edit the CONTROL_FILES parameter in the database's parameter file to add the new control file's name, or to change the existing control filename.
  5. Restart Server Manager.
  6. Restart the database.

    > 3. I looked in the following tables to find out what database files
    > are critical. How can I be sure of the init****.ora file being used? I
    > assume that this file also should be backed up.
    > select name from v$datafile
    > select member from v$logfile
    > select name from v$controlfile

The default init.ora file is @ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init$ORACLE_SID.ora.

However, you can specify another pfile on the startup command! So, you need to know which file is used to start Oracle in your shop.

You DO want to backup the one you actually use. By the way, the parameter file can refer to another file with the ifile parameter. If used, this file also needs to be backed up. Received on Fri Nov 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CST