Re: Oracle Server Platforms - Which one is for me?

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/11/21

I was in your shoes a while back. I chose Solaris X86. NT is way too proprietary. Besides alot of the functionality is just plain not there. I log into my Solaris machine from home or from my hotel room whenever I need to using a secure shell (ssh) and whip up all kinds of programs, make changes, do backups. Unix allows me the flexibility that is unheard of in NT world.

I chose X86 becuase I didn't want to spend too much money on hardware, not to mention the fact that buying Sun hardware means, I am locked into buying Sun hardware for the rest of the project life. When Oracle becomes available for Linux or even when Informix becomes available for Linux, I plan to throw Solaris out and install Linux on my server.

A dual Pentium II 300-MHz can be had fairly cheaply, I built mine myself. For the money, this is a EXTREMELY FAST machine and that is an understatement. A comparable machine from Sun or Compaq or HP would cost tonnes and tonnes more.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Fri Nov 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CST