Re: Successful Oracle install under Linux - My recipe

From: Theo van der Kruis <theo_at_incore.xs4all.nl>
Date: 1997/11/21

    Rolf> Bob Withers wrote:
>> Please feel free to contact me with comments and/or questions.
>> If you can't get this procedure to work for you I will do my
>> best to help out but, basically this information is worth
>> exactly what you paid for it, and I can't promise it will work
>> for you.
>>

    Rolf> I did the same thing, but I noticed that the database
    Rolf> introduces itself only as An Oracle 7 server with PL/SQL. I
    Rolf> once did a more complex install on linux (using the
    Rolf> installer on the cd) and then I got a database with a lot
    Rolf> more options (parrallel query, distributed option....) What
    Rolf> features does your database have?

I too installed Oracle 7.3 WGS last weekend on my Linux box but did it on my own. It required some utilities and libraries from SCO and patches to the installation scripts. When I start SQL*Plus I get this:

Script started on Fri Nov 21 01:19:42 1997 flatnet:/home/theo$ sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 3.3.2.0.0 - Production on Fri Nov 21 00:19:48 1997

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1994. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: scott/tiger
Error accessing PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE
Warning: Product user profile information not loaded! You may need to run PUPBLD.SQL as SYSTEM

Connected to:
Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.2.0 - Production Release With the distributed option
PL/SQL Release 2.3.2.2.0 - Production

SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.2.0 - Production Release With the distributed option
PL/SQL Release 2.3.2.2.0 - Production
flatnet:/home/theo$ exit
Script done on Fri Nov 21 01:20:05 1997

I could put up a webpage with the steps I've taken if people are interested.

--
Theo van der Kruis            finger theo_at_xs4all.nl for public PGP key
PGP: 1024/3C03B6D1    B0 D2 7D DA AE 8C 3E 04  9B 50 60 3D 74 33 6C F3