Re: Oracle Server Platforms - Which one is for me?

From: Keith Boulton <boulke_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: 1997/11/20

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 16:51:36 +0000, Robin Poole <robin.poole_at_onyx.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are planning to purchase oracle V8 workgroup server, the only
>question now is which platfrom to use.
>Our evaluation platform has been Windows NT4 on and i386 machine. This
>has been reasonably easy to use - a nice windows GUI although we have
>not done much perfromance testing.
>
>The question is what are the major differences as regards platform? Our
>choices will be :-
>
> 1) Windows NT on a PC - (something like a P200+ with 64M
>memory and SCSI HD
> 2) Solaris X86 on the same platform
> 3) Solaris on a Sun Platform
>
>A PC platform will be cheaper from a hardware angle, but UNIX may be
>preferable as a robust environment, hence point 2).
>
>How do UNIX(X-Windows) and NT(Bill-Windows) systems compare for ORACLE?
>
> - Do we get the same tools?
> - Is performance and issue?
> - Is Solaris X86 a viable platform? (methinks this may be the wrong
>group for this Question)#
> - How will it affect our client S/W?
>
>My greatest thanks for any help anyone can give - please CC answers to
>my email address, as I dont get time to read the news as often as I
>would like!
>
>Robin Poole
>Senior Software Engineer
>Onyx Internet Ltd.

I have just started experimenting with NT 4 and Oracle 8. I would be reluctant to run an Oracle server on NT, just because when things go wrong, it is very difficult to track down the cause, especially with the unrecoverable single point of failure that is the registry.

Having said that, I've had no more problems with Oracle itself under NT than I did under UNIX (AIX).

A UNIX system can be scaled up more easily as demands on the database increase.

One very important point on performance is that you want the largest number of physical disks you can get e.g. 5x1GB in place of 1x5GB.

The server itself doesn't need a windowing environment. Received on Thu Nov 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST