svrmgl, sqlplus: Very Slow Starting

From: Jerry Apfelbaum <japfelba_at_ican.ca>
Date: 1997/11/20

Has anyone run across the situation where svrmgrl and sqlplus are very slow starting up on an HPUX 10.01 G-class server?

It can take anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds for these to start and connect. When the machine is a bit busy, it can take even longer.

To try to isolate the problem to either Oracle or HPUX, I set ORACLE_SID to a non-existent instance and then launched svrmgrl, but it still took a long time to start (ie, no noticeable improvement).

As far as I can tell, there is no shortage of memory or semaphores. Nevertheless, my intuition is that there is some O/S resource bottleneck, but where?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyplace else to look?

Jerry Apfelbaum           email: japfelba_at_ican.ca
Eastern Sun Group Inc.    phone:     416.240.9695
Toronto, Canada