Re: ORA-12641: TNS:authentication service failed to initialize

From: James Petts <jpetts_at_celltech.co.uk>
Date: 1997/11/20

Dave Brady wrote:

> I'm flying blind here, as I don't have the SQL*Net docs yet (v2.3).
>
> I can connect to the database (7.3.3) with SQL*Plus 3.3.3 if I issue:
>
> sqlplus username/password
>
> but if I type:
>
> sqlplus username/password_at_service name
>
> I get the error.
>
> tnsping is able to see "service name."
>
> Any ideas welcome!

The docs recommend that you enable tracing to determine the exact cause. If you add the lines

TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = 16
TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=F:\ORAWIN\NETWORK\ADMIN to your SQLNET.ORA on the client you will generate scads of trace information which should give you what you need. Obviously, substitute your own chosen directory for the second of the two statements.

--
James "I'd rather fall off Ilustrada than ride any other horse" Petts