Table keeps growing inspite of purging

From: Sasha Ostojic <sasha_at_UltimateTech.com>
Date: 1997/11/19

I have an application that writes several hundred records to a table every few minutes. There is a cron job that runs every hour that deletes records older than two days from this table. This has been running now for about three months. The problem is that I noticed that the table is growing over time (the number of extents is growing). I would have expected it to reach a certain size (after two days), and then the space freed by deleted records would be reused. The table has one index, and it is still growing as well.

The table is created with PCTFREE 5 and PCTUSED 60. The index is PCTFREE 5.

Why is my table still growing?

Thanks in advance.

.sasha Received on Wed Nov 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST