Re: Use of to_date function

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/11/19

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 11:15:20 -0600,
stamp.dean_at_corona.navy.mil wrote:

>Does anybody know if you can use the to_date function to select on both a
>date and time without typing in the format? For example, I want to do:
>
>select datetime from a.view where datetime = to_date('05-AUG-97 11:13:42')

I always put in the format, and I highly recommend doing it. The reason for that recommendation is that the default format can be changed. You wouldn't want your queries to "break" if someone did that.

For example, on my system at work, the default is mm/dd/yy.

Offhand I don't remember where that can be set. It seems like there are a couple of possible places, but I'd have to check the manual to be sure.

--Jonathan

gennick_at_worldnet.att.net
http://home.att.net/~gennick Received on Wed Nov 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST