Help : TNSNAMES.ORA for Interprocess protocol (IPC)

From: Jinsong Qui <Jinsong_Qui_at_FirstDataBank.Com>
Date: 1997/11/19

Hi all ,

Our Oracle7 server at Solaris and Clients on Windows are running fine. To tnsping myserver, OK. But when I tried to install one clinet (ODBC driver) at the same machine as the server is, I get the error, ora-12154 : could not resolve servicer name.

I moved the listener.ora, sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora from windows client to the server machine /oracle_home/network/admin. I checked the file is ok at vi. I pointed to these files at TNS_ADMIN. The connect string is the same as the server name. Only thing I can think about is the configuration at tnsnames.ora for IPC protocol. It is not included at windows clients, I added the address for prototcol IPC, but I don't know the format. Please send me a copy of tnsnames.ora if you set client and server at the same machine. Or some thing else is wrong, help me out. Thank you in advance.

$sqlplus myUID/myPWD_at_myserver

--> error ora-12154

$sqlplus

--> ask for user name and password, then I can log in.

$tnsping myserver

--> TNS-03505 : Failed to resolve name

Regards,

JQ
jinsong_qui_at_firstdatabank.com Received on Wed Nov 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST