Re: HELP: Need Best Method to Export Full to Tape Device

From: EFall <efall_at_aa.csg.com>
Date: 1997/11/19

Happl Oberlin wrote:

> In article <34707A38.FD27B025_at_flipag.net>, mike <mike_at_flipag.net> wrote:
>
> >I need to know what the best approach to export a database to a DLT tape
> >drive is. I CANNOT export to disk first...
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Send reply to mike.porter_at_hvide.com OR mike_at_flipag.net direct if you
> >would.
>
> exp ... file=/dev/rmt ...
>
> if /dev/rmt ist the path of your DLT tape (ask your system administrator)
>
> With
> exp help=y
> you'll get a short descriptions of valid parameter for exp.
>
> Happl

Mike,
I did this for the first time last week. Here are a couple of tips I have.
file=/dev/rmt/... works fine
You may want to increase the BUFFER parm to speed it up. I used BUFFER=10240000 and DIRECT=Y and gained about 14% in speed.

I think the DIRECT parm is for 7.3.3 only, but I'm not sure.

I exported a 24G (70Mill row) table in about 10.5 hours. How does this compare to your export.

Does anyone know of a way to speed this up. Can you parallelize an export?

Can run a single export to multiple tape drives simultaneously?

Eric Fall
emf(at)aa.csg.com Received on Wed Nov 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST