Query optimisation

From: Geoff Dewhurst <Geoff_at_Bass-Soft.com.au>
Date: 1997/11/18

Hi,

I am having trouble optimizing a simple statement in Oracle 7.3.3 for NT. The primary key on the table is CLRIDX, when I explain plan the following statement:

        SELECT CLRIDX FROM CLR WHERE CLRIDX = 1; It uses the index like it should, however, when I change the statement to :

        SELECT CODE FROM CLR WHERE CLRIDX = 1; the index is not used!!! Can anyone explain this? The COST in both cases is 1 however the second takes longer.

--
Geoff
Geoff_at_Bass-Soft.com.au