Replication - WGS - NT

From: allen lucas <alucus_at_concentric.net>
Date: 1997/11/18

We currently run a shop with NT3.51 and ORACLE WGS 7.2.2.4.9. We have a need to replicate this database around the world, specifically to the middle east and the orient.

We have a fact finding meeting coming up in the next week or two, but I would like to get an idea of the process before being put on the spot.

As I see it, the major questions I need to ask include wether the remote sites will performing updates to the system. If not, we can somehow update their 'snapshot' of the data.

The timeliness of the data will also be important. If the data needs to be real-time, we have to investigate a synchronus replication scheme. If we are allowed to have the data out of sync with a weekly update, then export/import, or simply passing on a cold backup if we go with the same OS. If we decide to have centralized NT3.51 and remote UNIX, will the import/exprt still work? Can your import/export be platform independent?

If we need to be real-time, do we need to go to enterprise server? The difference in cost is enormous for our company. Has anybody tackled this problem who can start with a quick once over the issues we may have to face.

Thanks.

\\||// If at first you don't succeed, / \ don't take up skydiving! []--[] @ /\ @ {----} ^^ alucus_at_concentric.net