Re: deleting large number of records from table...

From: Brett Neumeier <random_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1997/11/18

bill <beers_at_mindspring.com> wrote in article <647a9c$s51_at_camel12.mindspring.com>...
> Could anyone give advice for deleting a large number of records from a
> table. I am trying to remove about 1,500,000 records and I am running out
> of rollback space. [..]

One thing you might try is dropping all the indexes from the table before you run the delete, and then rebuilding them afterwards. This will avoid the problem with "snapshot too old" that you will see if you do fetches across a commit.

In a test I did some time ago, I found that deletes from a table with one index generate 45 times the amount of rollback information than deletes from the same table with no index. Try it yourself!

--
-bn
random_at_interaccess.com	(PGP 2.6.2 public key available on request)