Re: deleting large number of records from table...

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/11/17

In article <346da5df.2316290_at_news.via.at>, Heber Ferraz-Leite <hferraz_at_via.at> writes
>Sorry, but a truncate is not a delete. If you truncate you lose all
>data in the table. If you delete you can select which are gone and
>which stay.

A truncate *is* a delete, just with no where clause or recoverability.

We run a monster warehouse where we have to design to truncate partitions because the day isn't long enough to delete.

Therefore, when a table is partitioned correctly, you can delete from a table selectively by truncating a partition. This is all semantics, but it makes for interesting arguments. Steve
P.S
I do basically agree with your original posting obviously. ;-)

"The floggings will continue until morale improves."