Re: Max # of datafiles??

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_acay.com.au>
Date: 1997/11/15

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> No, bad luck. Only solution is recreating the database. You should try to give
> your files proper size, so that the number of files remains low. Probably it is
> advisably to do a full database export, and just destroy the complete instance
> and delete the files, otherwise recreating will fail because the size of the
> files changed.
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior IS Analyst
> Bentley Systems Europe
> Sybrand.bakker_at_bentley.nl
>
> MC12250 wrote:
>
> > I have a production DB that was created with a max of 30 datafiles in the
> > "CREATE DATABASE" statement. I know the parameter in the init.ora file
> > can't override this. Is there an easy way to change this without re-creating
> > the
> > DB?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > andy
> > andy_at_mcdirect.com

Actually, you can use CREATE CONTROL FILE for this. Read the description on how to use it on the manual, shutdown the database, loose the current control file and use this ti create a new one with the same files but a MAXDATAFILES of 256. Done it many,many times. Works since V6.0.37 and all V7.x.

HTH

--
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_NOSPAMacay.com.au