Re: SYS password not accepted

From: Brett Neumeier <random_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1997/11/14

Heber Ferraz-Leite (hferraz_at_via.at) wrote:
: I set up a database under Unix System V R4.2, Oracle 7.1.6. Now I
: can't log in as sys, although I am 100% sure I'm using the same
: password I stated when creating the database.

Hmmm. Try using "change_on_install"; that is the default password, and perhaps the password you gave isn't being used for some reason.

: What I want to do is run catproc, since the loader tells me it can
: only execute if catproc was run as sys.
: I can log in as system and as internal. Is there any way to set the
: sys password when loging in as system or internal ?

Yes indeed -- as with any other user. Incidentally, another followup mentioned that SYS and INTERNAL are "mostly the same"; this is true, and CATPROC can execute perfectly well when connected internal. But for future reference, you can always:

"alter user sys identified by password;"

when connected as a user with ALTER USER privilege. No muss, no fuss.

--
-bn
random_at_interaccess.com	(PGP 2.6.2 public key available on request)