Re: Can't create instance

From: Timo Haatainen <Timo.Haatainen_at_tietogroup.com>
Date: 1997/11/14

Gregg Sporar wrote:

> I'm trying to learn how to use Oracle v7.2.3 on an HP-UX machine.
> Naturally, the documentation has been lost along with the people who
> once knew something about this system, so I can't RTFM. The main
> problem I've run in to is that I can get two instances up and running,
> but not a third. When I use the Oracle Server Manager (svrmgrl) to
> attempt to create a third instance (by doing a "startup nomount"), I get
> the following error message:
>
> ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set.
> HP-UX Error: 28: No space left on device
> Additional information: 1
>
> The ORA-07279 error is specific to the HP-UX version of Oracle, so I
> don't have access to any docs. that will tell me more about it. I
> suspect that the HP-UX error 28 is a red herring - the system has
> several gigabytes of free space. If I shutdown one of the two running
> instances, then I can start the one that failed the first time, which
> indicates to me that the problem is some sort of limit on the number of
> instances.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> Gregg Sporar
> i2 Technologies

This is not an indication of free space on disk but system's memory configuration.
You'll propably need to increase HP-UX kernel parameters concerning shared memory (SHMMAX, SHMMNI, SHMSEG) and most likely semaphores (SEMMNI, SEMMNS). The other way to have the third instance up is to decrease INIT.ORA parameters of your databases. Try to decrease, if possible, the following parameters: DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS, SHARED_POOL_SIZE, LOG_BUFFER, PROCESSES. Parameter PROCESSES has a relation to semaphores needed.

Hope this helps.

--

Timo Haatainen
Carelcomp Forest Oy