tablespace fragmentation

From: Amit Aggarwal <amaggarwal_at_kendle.com>
Date: 1997/11/13

Hi Guys:

I have a question about tablespace fragmentation.

We have an Oracle 7.1.3 database running on Digital Unix. Recently I noticed that most of the tablepsaces are badly fragmented and after looking in the 'DBA_FREE_SPACE' table, I found out that there are lot of contiguous free extents. I tried the command: ALTER TABLESPACE <name> COALESCE;

to defragment the tablespaces but it seems like that that command was not there in 7.1.3. Is there any other way to fix this fragmentation in the tablespaces in 7.1.3. I know this command works fine in 7.3.

Thanks for replying

amit
Oracle DBA/Unix SA Received on Thu Nov 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CST