Re: Temporary Tablespace

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrand.bakker_at_bentley.nl>
Date: 1997/11/13

Karl,

You can put a temporary segment in any tablespace. The only reason to set a tablespace temporary is it will be skipped by the logwriter. In an ideal situation every temporary segment should be allocated in a temporary tablespacce.
Where your temporary segments are allocated is determined on user level. You should make sure every user has his temporary tablespace pointing to the correct tablespace by issuing
alter user <username> temporary tablespace <tablespacename>

Oracle starts creating temporary segments as soon as the size of a sort (or create index, or group by) exceeds whatever your sort_area_size is. The size of the extents is determined solely by the default storage clause of the tablespace.
You could easily see what is going on by issuing a select like this select tablespace_name, segment_name, bytes from dba_segments
where segment_type = 'TEMPORARY'
and/or run $oracle_home/rdbms73/admin/utlbstat (start sampling statistics)
and /utlestat in the same dir a few hours later.

Each sort job does allocate one temporary segment.

Hope this helps,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior IS Analyst
Bentley Systems Europe