Re: Backup software on DEC Alpha

From: <dcpik_at_bbc.com>
Date: 1997/11/09

jbozen_at_stfrancis.edu wrote in article <876239177.644_at_dejanews.com>...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am in the process of installing Oracle7 on a DEC Alpha
>> running DEC Unix in support of Banner 3.0 (College software).
>> Does anybody have a suggestion on a good backup software
>> package for an Alpha???
>>
>> Some configuration info:
>> Alpha 4100 5/300 dual processor | 512 meg | 20gig raid-5 |
>>
>> I am very new to this area so any and all comments/suggestions
>> will be very appreciative.
>>
>Joey,
>
>We have a very similar installation to yours, and we are in the process of
>desinging our backup strategy.
>
>Basically, we need 24x7 availability, so every night a DCL script is run to
>place the Oracle tablespaces into backup mode. Then the OpenVMS backup
>utility software is used to archive the files to tape. After they files
>have been archived, another DCL script is used to place the tablespaces
>back in regular mode.
>
>I have tested this approach and it seems to work reliablly. Provided you
>have your database is Archive Log mode, and keep all your archived
>redo-logs from the last backup until the present, this strategy provides a
>high level of protection against all but a simultaneous media failure of
>the disk(s) holding the Oracle datafiles and the disk holding the archived
>redo-logs.
>
>Hope this is useful
>
>Graham

But the OS was UNIX.

Boston Business Computing sells a DCL and OpenVMS backup emulators for UNIX that will allow the above solution to work.

For additional information send mail to:

                 sales_at_bbc.com

or look at the Boston Business Computing WWW site at:

                 http://www.bbc.com

Regards,

David Pikcilingis
Boston Business Computing