Re: Using NT Dual Processor for Oracle 7.3+ Enterprise for NT

From: Vsevolod Afanasjev <afanasjev_at_cse.unsw.edu.au>
Date: 1997/11/04

Oracle Server Reference, Rel 7.3, January 1996 (Document A32589_1), page 1-13:

CPU_COUNT
Default value: automatically set by Oracle Range of values : 0 - unlimited
OK to change: No

This parameter lists the number of CPUs available to Oracle. Oracle uses it to set the default value of the LOG_SIMULTANEOUS_COPIES parameter. On single-CPU computers, the value of this parameter is 0.

Warning: On most platforms Oracle automatically sets the value of CPU_COUNT to the number of CPUs available to your Oracle instance. Do not change the value of CPU_COUNT.

If there is heavy contention for latches, change the value of LOG_SIMULTANEOUS_COPIES to twice the number of CPUs you have. Do not change the value of CPU_COUNT.

So, you should do

SELECT value FROM v$parameter WHERE name='cpu_count';

Hope this helps

Seva