Re: Connecting to Oracle database over the internet

From: Craig M. Wall <cwall_at_petersons.com>
Date: 1997/11/04

As far as I know, all client connections to remote databases over IP require the presence of SQL*Net connectivity software on both machines to provide a substrate or transport mechanism for non-native access methods such as OLE, ODBC, Livewire, Perl, etc.

On the client side, you'll need Oracle's SQL*Net for TCP/IP, most likely version 2.x. Then you must configure the tnsnames.ora file on the client to associate an alias for the instance name you are attempting to connect to and it's IP address.

Then you will use this alias in your tool's connect string (along with username & password) when it logs into the database. This also assumes that if a firewall proxy server is in place it is configured to pass SQL*Net packets or if it's just a router, that your remote IP address is allowed to be forwarded to the database host.

Regards,
Craig M. Wall