Re: db_block_size

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/11/04

kbolin_at_sparks.org wrote in article <878593072.19121_at_dejanews.com>...
> We are wondering what size to make the block size when we establish our
> first database. Does anyone have any generic "rule of thumb" for doing
> so? Or, any ideas of what parameters to go by? It has been suggested we
> go with 8k blocks, but really think that is too large.

Small block size basically means less rows in a block. Thus the smaller the block size, the larger the likelihood of bad i/o performance. You should not make the block size smaller than what the default operating system block size is. You can however make it multiples of the default o/s block size, e.g. 16Kb, 24KB etc.for a default 8Kb o/s block size.

My advice is when in doubt, stick to the defaults. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Nov 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CST