Re: automating shutdown,startup??

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/11/03

Jason Berryhill wrote:

> I would like to be able to automate shutdown, backup, and restart of my
> db from witin a cron job.
>
> Here is my specific question ==> how do I run a script from the command
> line with server manager in line mode? The documentation I have does not
> mention how to do this (at least I haven't found it yet).

Running server manager from the command line is performed in the same way as you would SQL*PLUS e.g.

svrmgrl -s <<! 1>$ORALOG 2>&1

    connect internal;
    shutdown immediate;
!

where $ORALOG is merely an environment variable pointing to a log file and the ! (can be anything) is used to terminate the code to be executed by svrmgr. Note that this delimiter has to be in charcter position 1 of the line.
Also when writing the cron script you must remember to explicitly declare all your environment variables e.g. ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, PATH as the cron routine does not inherit these values from the submitting user.

Hope this helps,

Ian Received on Mon Nov 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST