Re: Oracle on Linux - a recipe

From: Peter Koch <koch_at_math.uni-duisburg.de>
Date: 1997/11/03

Jan Andersen (root_at_127.0.0.1) wrote:
: I have heard from some that orainst work OK, even the one from 7.3.3,
: but others, including me, have big problems with orainst. But I discovered
: something strange the other day.

: I have got a 60 day test license on CDs, and included in the package was
: a CD with the WebServer(TM) for SCO - it came with a orainst etc, and
: I just started it (orainst /m). It worked like a charm! Afterwards I tried it

: on my copied in server CD - and it seemed to work just as well, though I
: didn't want to actually install an Oracle and maybe ruin things. So maybe
: there is an orainst with errors out there?

Thanks very much. The orainst.cm and orainst.motif do not work under Linux, but the same files from the WebServer trial CD do. I copied the whole 7.3.3-CD to disk, replaced these two files, and now everything works fine.

The WebServer trial CD has an older orainst, namely version 4.0.0.0.0 while the 7.3.3-CD has version 4.0.0.0.8.

Peter

--
Peter Koch <Koch_at_Math.Uni-Duisburg.DE>      phone: 49 203 379-2698
Department of Mathematics                     fax: 49 203 379-3139